Happy Fall FBMS Family!
Our first month of school has been busy, productive and full of new experiences for all of us, particularly for our wonderful 6th grade class and new 7th and 8th grade students! Everyone is settling in well and we are ready to take on the fall and all of its fun and enriching experiences!
We started the 2018-19 school year with close to 1,230 students. Our 6th grade class is the largest at Frank Black MS to date, and we have 434 students in our Magnet/Vanguard program. As you all may have noticed, our classes are full and we are in need of additional teachers. I have made a request to HISD central administration for additional positions and have been notified that we will be able to fill two new (Science and Physical Education) positions soon. I will keep you updated on these and additional hires!
A key instructional focus for us this year is writing. We want our Panthers to be comfortable writing in all subject areas. Our teachers started the year with writing responses, which means that they provide a subject and students journal their thoughts in a creative manner. We are doing this first – before focusing on grammar and other technical skills – so that students warm up their writing muscles and become accustomed to using them often. Over the coming months, they will be practicing the art of writing in all subjects in order to improve writing skills in all areas, not just English.
Along those lines, we have revised the IClub schedule to accommodate our writing-centric environment. Starting in October, students will meet in IClub once a month – on a Wednesday – and the remaining Wednesdays will be devoted to school-wide writing assignments in homeroom classes (twice a month) and a pep rally or House Club competition on the remaining Wednesday. We conducted a student survey in September to determine their top I-subjects of interest and will offer the top ten choices to students during their IClub period.
We started after-school tutorials last week (9/24) and encourage all students to take advantage of these opportunities to ask questions, work through content they are having trouble understanding and/or get help in advance of a quiz or test. The tutorials are from 4:00pm – 4:45pm in their teachers’ classrooms and follow this schedule:
MONDAY -- Social Studies
TUESDAY -- Math
WEDNESDAY -- Science
THURSDAY -- English Language Arts
Please communicate with your child’s teachers if you have questions or need additional information.
Our after-school activities are in full swing now. Some important announcements include:
· Our students elected new Student Council leaders and homeroom representatives in September. We expect great things from this group of leaders and will keep you up-to-date on their activities!
· We received a grant to start a new fencing program at FBMS! We plan to start the program in October
· We would like to get a Panther tennis team started this year and are searching for a new tennis coach. Please let us know if you have recommendations!
· Ms. B. Williams has offered to coordinate our UIL Academic Team this year. If your student is interested in participating, please reach out to her at Brianna.Williams@houstonisd.org Our students will go to six competitions, so it is a big commitment!
· Kickstart will offer female self-defense classes this year. More information will be coming soon!
Please remember that my door is always open, and I welcome your input and feedback. I hope to see you all out and about at FBMS in October!
Ms. Rhonda Honore’